Evansville’s West Side Nut Club Fall Festival is one of the largest street fairs in the US, and is famous for its outrageous foods. Here are a few of my favorite foods, and some things about the festival that aren’t foods, but were fun or interesting to me anyway.
10. Fried Green Tomatoes – Vanderburgh Humane Society booth. These are one of my all time favorites. They are served with either ranch or horseradish dip. (I prefer the horseradish.)
9. The Freak Out – This is the most in-demand ride at the Fall Fest. We skipped it this year, because you have to wait in line for about an hour to get a ride on it.
8. Fall Fest Web Cams – Over 1 million images were served over the course of the week. This is a new record for the web cams, which were sponsored by On-Site Computer Solutions, Insight Communications, News 25, and Regent Communications. Thanks for making the cams a success.
7. Pronto Pups – Corn Dogs have long been a mainstay of fair food, but the pronto pup is it’s sweeter, smoother cousin. The pronto pup is a hot dog deep fried in pancake batter. The only way to eat a pronto pup is hand-dipped and fresh fried.
6. Free Wi-Fi – When you are working a booth and have nothing better to do than google around, the Free Wi-Fi (powered by On-Site and Insight) was a good way to pass a few minutes in between the mad mass of people.
5. Deep Fried Bratwurst – This new favorite of mine was new to the Festival (at least to my knowledge). Think pronto pup on steroids. Awesome!
4. Brain Sandwich – I still haven’t tried it, but you can’t really mention the Fall Fest without mentioning the infamous brain sandwich. If you have a hankering for pig brain, this is a sandwich you don’t want to miss.
3. Montessori Booth – Evansville Montessori always has a great selection of gross out candy, and interesting food. The candy, called icky lickies are cancy pops and chocolate with either a bug or a scorpion inside. Their featured food this year was the Kangurito – a Kangaroo meat Burrito.
2. Various other Favorite Foods – I have so many other favorite Fall Fest Foods that I would be remiss to not at least mention them.
- SWIRCA Cobbler
- Walking Taco
- Deep Fried Oreo
- Buffalo Burger
- Birch Beer Floats
- Sweet Potato Fries
- Ski Slushies
- Pig Licker – Also new this year (really deserves its own number.) AKA Lipstick on a Pig, a Pig Licker is bacon dipped in dark chocolate. Central United Methodist had some rockin’ good pig lickers.
1. Overloading the Cell Phone Towers – It was impossible to use your cell phone at the Fall Fest this year. It was amazing to see how reliant we all are on our Cell Phones these days. So many people were trying to use their cell phones simultaneously that none of them would work right. AWESOME!
Hope to see you at the Fall Fest next year! You can join me for a basket of Lipstick on a Pig. 🙂